You might be wondering for quite a while now the question, “Can you really tell the difference in air quality when you change your air filter?” The quick answer is YES. However, if you want to ensure better and healthier indoor air quality, there’s actually more to it in addition to the timely replacement of air filters.
Let’s discover more about changing the air filter and the relation to cleaning your room. Read further.
Can You Really Tell the Difference?
“To see is to believe” isn’t the best quote for this. Of course, you can definitely tell the difference in the air quality when you change your air filter. You may not literally see it with your naked eyes, but you can feel most of the differences. Here are some differences you’ll notice:
Importance of Changing Your Air Filter
To ensure better indoor air quality, replacing your air filter is a must. Here are some benefits of changing your air filter from time to time.
- Provides better and healthier air quality for everyone in the room as it will trap all harmful elements in the air that may affect your health.
- Allows your HVAC system to function well by capturing harmful particles, making the air circulating inside the room clean.
- Longer lifespan for your HVAC unit as it will only function in its normal power. When you do not change your air filter and it soon becomes a kingdom for air particles, your HVAC unit will be forced to function at its maximum capacity. This will affect the overall health of your HVAC system.
- When your HVAC system functions at its standard capacity, it will cost you less in terms of electricity bills. However, if it maximizes its power, your electric consumption will surely go higher than expected.
- When your HVAC unit is functioning well, it can continue to serve you better—providing you with the comfort you need.
When Should You Replace Your Air Filter?
When you purchase an HVAC system, it automatically indicates a recommended timeline for when you should change your air filter. In addition, here are some warning signs that will tell you it’s time to replace it.
- When there’s too much pet dander in the area, it indicates that the air filter has already reached its maximum capacity. It cannot accommodate more air particles to trap.
- If you’re experiencing an increased problem with allergies and breathing, it’s time to change your air filter. This is because your air filter cannot trap more air particles and tends to bring back to the indoor air some of the particles it previously trapped, causing more issues in the indoor air.
- Do the white sheet test. Put a white sheet inches away from the vents. After an hour, take a look at the sheet and its color. The darker it gets, the more dirt it indicates.
- Have you checked your electricity bill? If it suddenly spikes without changing anything in your normal electricity usage, your HVAC system might be the culprit. It is already having a hard time fulfilling its role in providing good indoor air quality because of all the trapped particles, therefore it’s boosting its efforts to function well, requiring more power supply.
Why You Should Clean Your Room Too
For better air quality, it is recommended to regularly clean your room as well apart from changing your air filters. This will help boost your efforts to ensure you get healthier indoor air. Most of the dirt clinging to the surfaces will not be captured by the air filter. It will stay on the surfaces, which can soon cause you a health issue.
More than the health benefits and cleanliness of cleaning your room, it will also help all types of air filters to have a longer lifespan. Having a clean room is equivalent to lesser air particles that your air filter will have to capture. This means more spaces for other and new air particles to come and not the ones already existing.
It’s not only the air filters that you should take into account. Cleaning your room is also a part of the efforts in ensuring better and healthier indoor air quality for everyone in the room. When you combine the two, you will surely reap the benefits of having clean air in your personal space.
If you want to know more or you’re looking for a provider of quality air filters, we can assist you with everything you need about getting quality indoor air. Get in touch with us.